Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Barack Obama makes history for all of us

After a meeting earlier today, a colleague was conveying to me that his 6 year old son wanted to vote for Barack Obama. When his dad asked him “Why?” the 6 year old said, “Because his skin is brown like mine, Dad.” His father was a bit in awe.

At 7:07 p.m. tonight my phone buzzed with a text message and it was an SPFT member with the message: “It’s done. The first African American has just been nominated for president. History in the making!” Her joy was palpable.

I would argue that while the nomination is, in fact, done we are actually on the cusp of much more beginning in every other way for our country.

These things reminded me that this is not just any night for some people. Quite frankly, this should not be just any night for any of us.

It makes me that much more excited for our Obama Acceptance Speech Party tomorrow night at the Como Park Picnic Pavilion from 7:30 to 10 p.m. This is an event to watch with community, in the community.

Please join me!

No comments: